Hop in my Camaro IROC-Z T-65 X-wing starfighter. We’re going to the beach.
Don’t touch that dial; everybody knows the driver is the DJ.
In the mix:
- Lightworks (instr.) – Raymond Scott
- Theatre Matrix – Ceramic Hello
- Radiance – Andie Oppenheimer
- Sun – Caribou
- I Travel – Simple Minds
- Par Avion – FM Belfast
- I Told Her On Alderaan – Neon Neon
- Don’t Call – Desire
- Stay Close – Delorean
- Six Royal Vipers – Tobacco
- Summertime Cowboy (Serge Santiago Version) – Husky Rescue
- Moskow Diskow – Telex
- Capri Spinoff – Justin Faust
- Atmosphere Strut (Remix 1979) – Cloud One
- Cosmic Surfin’ – Yellow Magic Orchestra
- Messages from the Stars – The RAH Band
- Rainforest – Paul Hardcastle
- Camino Del Sol (Todd Terje Remix) – Antena
- Here Comes The Night (Single Edit – Promo Mono Mix) – The Beach Boys
Don’t get burned: DOWNLOAD
I raised to my lips a spoonful of the cake . . . a shudder ran through my whole body and I stopped, intent upon the extraordinary changes that were taking place.
B is for Bundt, that's good enough for me.
One of my hobbies is baking elaborate cakes. Cakes that take upwards of 3 hours to make, destroy the kitchen (anger the wife), and have at least a pound and a half of butter in them.
Our friend Kristin was asking me some general pointers. I came up with:
- Always measure ingredients by weight, not volume.
- Use a modest-amount less flour then recommended, and add just a little bit of potato or corn starch.
- Don’t use cake flour. Just general purpose white.
- Always sift.
- Cream the butter and sugar as slowly as possible.
- It’s done when a tooth-pick comes out clean.
- Don’t refrigerate your cake.
- Don’t do low-fat.
- Ice with buttercream.
I feel like I get how a good cake comes together, and I know what different stages are supposed to look like, smell like; if the ingredients are playing nice like they should at a given point. I know how, and I know what.
But I’ve never really known why.
Here’s why: The science of cake
when I was young I would always ask for coconut cake for my birthday. that only slightly explains why I have included this song in my post…
Now I know what I’m going to do the next time I’m in NYC. Eat some of these.
Speaking of sandwiches, I am really missing Vietnamese food. Charlottesville has nothing remotely close and two of my favorite things to eat in DC were Pho and those delectable sandwiches with pork, cilantro, sprouts, carrots and sauce on a baguette. Next time I’m in DC…
One of the perks of being married to James is the veritable library of music in our house. Music is one of his hobbies. Everything I own, he already has—except for the lame / embarrassing stuff. So I’ve stopped buying music and instead just pick something new from the shelf.
His collection includes more genres than wikipedia (well maybe not but pretty damn close), from the greats to the most obscure. Mixed into the collections are a few box sets, which neatly package the music he already owns and loves into mixes. Some people start with these box sets, James buys them for posterity. Each song has already been listened to, loved and shelved. But for me, these are mostly new. Lately I’ve been listening to some of his post punk collections. I went through all of the Post Punk Chronicles and am now onto Dispatches from the 80′s Underground. I was proud that I already knew about 40% of the songs.