How easy it is for Man to create something more beautiful than he, why not something smarter?
There is no peace, just awe.
All beauty hatches from a goose egg,
or is embroidered with a thread of gust.
So all glory goes to the stitcher.
Feel good hit of the fall:
all throbbing bass and sudden tears.
No life cycle, just corkscrew gyres.
The beauty of the world is the same beauty of anything,
coming through its onceness, its infinite almost the sameness
The beauty of the world is 7 seconds of a cartoon about trains
illuminated in an olive mini-van’s dusty back windshield after sundown.
In the Silent Night
Lo, in the silent night
A child to God is born
And all is brought again
That ere was lost or lorn.
Could but thy soul, O man
Become a silent night!
God would be born in thee
And set all things aright.
15th Century verse
2013 reveals sort of a punker/”classic” indie lean, with plenty of originals alongside chestnuts roasted with new recipes. Other genre excursions too, natch. Hope you find some new favorites to brighten your Advent and Christmas seasons. Love to hear what you’re diggin on.
- Variations On Carol of the Bells — The Mermen
- Silent Night — Nick Lowe
- It’s Christmas Time — Yo La Tengo
- Bethlehem — Vigilantes Of Love
- Silver Bells — Chet Atkins
- Christmas Day Is Coming — The Blue Diamonds & Jack Bulterman Orchestra & Chorus
- Jingle Bells — Sy Mann with Jean-Jacques Perrey
- Free Christmas — Johnny Marr and The Healers
- Cry Of A Tiny Babe (Live Version) — Bruce Cockburn with Lou Reed, Rosanne Cash & Rob Wasserman
- Hurray for Santa Claus — The Fleshtones
- Little Drummer Boy (Up the Khyber) — Hoodoo Gurus
- O Come, O Come Emmanuel — Bad Religion
- White Christmas (Guitar Stooge Version) — Iggy Pop
- 14 Punch Bowl Full of Joy — Sonny Columbus & the Del Fuegos
- Christmas Night — Dwight Twilley
- Mary’s Little Boy Child — Jim Reeves
- Merry Christmas — The Cameos
- I’ll Be Your Santa Baby — Rufus Thomas
- Christmas in the City — King Sun feat. D Moët
- Le Cantique de Noël — Royksopp
- Home for the Season — Neil Halstead
- Christmas Eve Can Kill You — Dawn McCarthy and Bonnie "Prince" Billy
- Gaudete — Steeleye Span
“Eurekas!” scantily sufficient
for proper illumination.
The scales don’t drop until
you would not rejoice
over how they clog the drain.
you will be sorely missed! thanks for the music.
And he hollered “Look there are the bells”
And he said “Now here come the bells
Here come the bells, here come the bells
Here come the bells”